Saturday, June 15, 2013

A LITTLE MAKEOVER...............

Of the mudroom, which had become very........
well.......mudroom like............

                                                                                          
 
Our mudroom was in dire need of a sprucing up.
After tossing around lots of ideas,
I decided to decoupage the walls with pages from the book
"Cabinet of Natural Curiosities"
by Albertus Seba.
 
This is the biggest wall in the mudroom, and it is
a lot to take in. However there are two large bookcases
that stand in front of this wall,
so really most of it won't show.
 
 
Here's the upper corner of the same wall (before molding), and
I couldn't resist hanging the bookplate of
old Albertus himself.
 
 
From inside you enter the mudroom thru a wide opening from
the kitchen.
(white door goes to laundry room)
(brown dutch door goes to backyard)
 
 
You can see that when I started putting everything
back in, the walls sort of receded a bit and
weren't so "in your face".
 
 
I think all the books help.
 
 
I have always hung these museum posters in there
and I didn't think they were going to work with the walls....
and maybe they don't.......
but I decided it was an interesting mix,
so I am leaving them.
 
 
We rescued this old dutch door from Garys
grandmother.....they had bought a new door and sent this one to
a corner of their garage.  
 
So what do you think?
 
I had seen this on ......where else.......
Pinterest!
 I thought it was perfect for us.
 I was a bit leary of doing it because I
knew once it was up.......it was up for good!!
Then just when I was  starting it a friend told me 
that the new issue of Country Living
featured a home where someone had done a powder room using
the same book. I am guessing they saw the pin on Pinterest
or online and couldn't resist it either?
 
Hearing that gave me mixed feelings.  A bit of valadation, 
I mean if it was good enough for Country Living........
however......I think if I wasn't already so far into the project,
I probably would not have gone ahead with it.
I'm a bit contrary that way.
 
Anyway, it's done now, and trust me.....it's
not going anywhere.....
but that's ok,
'cuz we really like it.
 
 
 
 
*"Albertus Seba's "Cabinet of Curiosities" is one of the
18th century's greatest natural history achievements and remains
one of the most prized natural history books of all time. Though
it was common for men of his profession to collect
natural specimins for research purposes, Amsterdam-based
pharmacist Albertus Seba had a passion that led him far beyond
the call of duty. His amazing, unprecedented collection of
animals plants and insects from all around the world gained
international fame during his lifetime.
After decades of collecting, Seba commissioned illustrations of each
specimen and arranged the publication of a four volume
catalog detailing his entire collection."
 (Amazon)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

                                                                                            

12 comments:

  1. This is simply amazing! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome!!! Now I want one :) But where? No mudrooms in Las Vegas. We don't know what mud is around here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It reminds me of English country house decoration. My sister-in-law has something similar in a downstairs cloakroom.
    I would NEVER change it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just one word - STUNNING! It looks fantastic and I am a huge fan of these illustrations. I think you are very brave to tackle it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I REALLY like it! I'm interested in knowing the procedure/products, etc. that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I TOTALLY LOVE IT...you did a great job girl and soooo you!!! I also love the pictures you hung back up, they totally pull it off...so much fun to play in our palaces, bet you walk through that door with a smile every day...lol, I sure would!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the risk of sounding like an echo - I LOVE IT! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about it...the plates, themselves, the museum posters, the bookshelves, the doors! It's a masterpiece and well worth the effort in my opinion - WoW! If anyone says anything about seeing it in print, you can tell them that the Country Living spread is your house! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want that book! I've seen it before. I'm sorry I haven't commented in ages - stupid bloglovin did not copy everyone over, grrrr, I just thought you hadn't posted for a while!! I love the make over, what an amazing room!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks awesome! Got that book, it's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so pretty and enchanting! I really love your idea. If you are interested in a similar book I can recommend you Erich Haeckel: Art Forms in Nature. I own this book and it's so very interesting and beautiful too. Maybe I can use it for a similar action. One question, please: Did you cut up the book or did you use copies of the pages?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so in love with this book and wow, wow you blew it out of the park. This looks incredible, no matter where you looks there is tons of eye candy. Gosh I hope you copied the book. Love your vision

    ReplyDelete